02 June 2008

Inundated by memories......

Currently listening to No Air (Jordin Sparks feat Chris Brown).

Assignments for this semester are DONE. All my quizzes for this semester are done (Praise God). Results so far are okay.. (Praise God, again)
Exam revision??
Exam??
What exam?? What are exams??
oh, You mean Ezam as in Mohamad Ezam Mohd Nor, the former Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) Youth chief who recently rejoined UMNO, is it?? Yeah, Ezam was sacked from UMNO in November 1998 for his harsh criticism against then party president Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad. Now he is ready to contest the UMNO Youth Chief.

Anyway, it's a one week holiday for me. YAY.. I do not have to see the stupid bimbotic librarian who complained to me that my assignments aren't as important as cutting newspaper ads. WTF.. No wonder she ended up becoming a bimbotic librarian at SCS. BTW, Ms Tudung-nger Bimbo, I haven't told anyone about you and the rest of your Bimbo gang who catch snake too and spent one hour finding your lunch partner. Too bimbotic to eat alone, is it?? BTW, your job is also to cut the newspaper ads too and just because you are scared of dirtying your hands, then you dump that job to me, lah... WTH?? Anyway, what can i say, you belong to that creed of people who thinks that the government owes them a living...

To clear the air of obscure thoughts, SCS stands for SEGi College Sarawak. I'm technically no longer a SEGi student anymore as I have completed my diploma *bravo*. I'm now doing my final year of degree under University of Southern Queensland, based in SCS. The only relationship I have with SCS is because of the partial scholarship bond (and thanks to that, I have to see Ms Bimbo & Co every Thursday).

Other than that, SCS isn't that bad actually. Okay, if we minus Miss Bimbo, it is NOT bad AT ALL (just that I will consider it my disclaimant group when I'm feeling cranky. So if I have complained about SCS, part of it is due to my crankiness. maybe I was PMS-ing at that time??? So blame it on the hormonal rage...). I had the time of my life during my diploma days. Had the chance to experience the new vistas of feeling and thought and taste of becoming a student club president though it was discovered through an unceremonious kick in the butt back in 2006 by one of my marketing maestro, Mr Jefferson.

yeah, it's the famous college that had a free publicity through Kenny Sia's blog because of their spelling creativity!!! But don't worry, the spelling or typo errors in the admin forms does not reflect the standard of English of the lecturers. Try Mr Brendan and his Queen's English out and see what I mean. He's Ausssie, you may say, but there are other Malaysian Chinese lecturers who are as Malaysian as me, probably went through the Malaysian education system like me, but speaks proper English unlike me. Proper ENGLISH, not Manglish, not Singlish. They teach (not read from the powerpoint slides or textbooks) with completely zero feelers. Perhaps a product of Toastmasters??? Take commercial law class for example, only God knows how many new words I have learnt from Mr Kho besides those legal terms throughout the 14 lectures cos my command of the English language sucks.

Okay, there are complains about the lecturer turn-over rate. Well, I completed my diploma last year and out of all the 10+ part-time and full-time lecturers that have taught me, only 4 are still around. The rest have left for better offers. Is it because of the college?? I don't know but it was through them that I learnt the 3+2 rule. (3+2 rule= work in an organization for 3 years- the MOST (only applicable if after the 3rd year, you are still stuck with the same job/task/salary since Day 1). If you think that there is room for promotion or personal growth, wait for another 2 years. If there is still no room for promotion, LEAVE. But after the third year, if you discover that there is no room for promotion, then LEAVE). Therefore, all I can say is that my former lecturers were applying the 3+2 rule. I'm not quite sure about the new breed of noble educators there as most of them have not taught me before.

To say that the lecturers aren't dedicated would be a lie. All my lecturers be it part-time or full-time were quite dedicated and caring in their own ways or in one way or the other (at least towards me. OMG, I WAS loved). Most of them have spent (and will probably spent) like half or three quarters of their life in educating students. I mean, which lecturer would ever have class on Christmas Eve night?? Answer: Mr Raymond Chai of SEGi College Sarawak. How do I know?? Duh, that was where I spent the night of Christmas Eve in 2007 from 7pm-8:30pm under the tutelage of the ever-so-enthusiastic Mr Raymond with 3 other students. Yup, Mr Raymond continued on with lecture as usual with only 4 students in class (including the ever-so-kuai KNS, man!!! yours truly) but ended an hour earlier so that the Christians would not be late for their mass. Off course, he ended the lecture with countless apologies for destroying our social life since all of us could not start our party earlier. Well, sad to say, he has left but I'm sure that is not the end of the breed of dedicated lecturers in SCS. I wasn't in time to bid him farewell but I hope my A for M.O. would be enough to thank him for his dedication. Off course, there's good old young Mr Alan again, the advisor of the YEC too, who purposely delayed all meetings and activities until my exams are over. But this means that if I do not get a reasonable grade for CB and the rest of my other subjects, Mr Alan and most importantly, my parents, would have a HUGE FIT and I'll probably never see the light of day again.....

Facilities aren't that bad, except for the lift that have been out-of-order since time immemorial (but they are installing new ones now). The reason for the delay in repairing the lifts: unknown (probably to make all of us keep fit). My only complain is that the flushes in the ladies do not work (I'm not sure about the gents. I've never entered and don't wish to enter either). WiFi at night at the third floor and reading room has improved tremendously since the first time my friends and I gave it a try, though the WiFi in the library sucks big time (else my partner-in-crime and I would not move into the reading room during our final week of MR assignment 2 rush).

Cafeteria food is edible if you are too lazy to walk across the road to SCR, Secret Recipe and etc. Hock Hai, the famous tua pau place, is nearby too. For those having morning lectures, you can go there during break, though I never went there throughout my 2-years diploma stint.. kuai mah, don't want to be late for the second session... neh, I eat my daily intakes of oats every time before i leave for class and this would last me till 12:30pm (though I may be peckish before the end of class. That is when I start cursing my IM lecturer and telling him, "lead me not into temptation", for making us go through all those delicious food brochures as part of our tutorial questions..

Another famous question is "is SCS haunted??". Truthfully speaking, I don't know. Ever since I entered SCS since Day 1 until today, I haven't met any of the good brothers, neither have I felt their presence. My seniors did tell me stories that the building is haunted but I can't comment. The college is perfectly fine when I leave at 9pm (or 9:30pm during USQ's summer semester).....No eerie feelings or spooky sounds or what.

Anyway,
I do wish that I can do my final semester in Toowoomba but studying in SCS for UG is not THAT bad.... Class size this semester was small.
-Quite small if compared to MO last sem.
-Extremely small if compared to diploma classes.
-Insignificant if compared to on-campus.
-So it's minute for that matter. So do you know what does small class size means???
  1. More room space
  2. More oxygen, less carbon dioxide in the room
  3. Everybody’s bag gets a seat of its own, except for the lecturer’s stuff.
  4. Colder…
  5. Less students=everyone has an equal chance of answering the lecturer’s question especially during CB…No, my CB lecturer does not use probability sampling in choosing the lucky student. Everyone has to give their answers/views for every question posed.
  6. Can’t escape from answering questions. Even if you go to the toilet in hope that you can escape from answering the question because you are clueless to answer the call of nature, you will have to answer the question when you come back or unless you disappear off until 9pm.
  7. More personalized attention from the lecturer. Thus, your cerebral blood flow would never drop to 20-25mL/100g of brain/ minute [I read from a medical student’s blog that if you fall asleep in class, it means that your cerebral blood flow has dropped from a normal level of 50mL/100g of brain/ minute to a level of 20-25mL/100g of brain/ minute.].
  8. I swear that the lecturers know whether you are paying attention or not. If you are lucky, they would not bother to distract you from your dream. But more often than not, I am unlucky to be caught with my pants down especially during MR class. [Note: caught with my pants down is just a metaphor.]. But why always me, wan??
But the only problem is that sometimes we have to do self-study if there are no classes for that particular subject due to the small number of students.

Where is SEGi College Sarawak?? In Sarawak, duh. It's that pink short building situated in between Somerset Gateway and the Chinese Chamber of Commerce at Kuching Eye Hill Road. The side of the new 23-Storey, 388 rooms Novetel Interhill hotel, which is under construction now, overlooks it. Whenever I go to college now, it brings me back memories to beginning of 2006 when I took Intro To Tourism together with a bunch of boys who said that the building was one of the 7 Wonders of the World because of the carvings on the walls outside. It sent shivers down the lecturer's spine and the next thing I knew, he printed out notes about the 7 Wonders of the World for us during the next class (as in the old one where Angkor Wat was in and Christ the Redeemer in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil wasn't in). Okay, maybe it was really in his lesson plan to enrich our minds about the 7 wonders of the world on the following lesson....

Anyway, I’m inundated by work.
**KJ is slowly immersing herself back again into the wilds of the pre-exam world.**
*sigh*

Got to start my revision now,
EZAM EXAM's in 2 weeks time.
But how to study???

Found this here:
study = no fail....(1)
no study = fail...(2)
using simultaneous equation: (1)+(2);
study + no study = no fail + fail
factorize;
study(1 + no) = fail(1 + no)
cancel(1 + no) on both sides,
therefore, study = fail..


Like that, don't study....

PS: The reason why I'm writing about the past is because I miss the past. I want to go back to my diploma days...But i can't. We must all progress somehow..........Anyway, the saving grace about exams is that it marks the completion of a subject: one step nearer to graduation..(quote and unquote from my dad's friend)

okay, time to answer the discussion board question before I exit the virtual world for today.

No comments: