16 January 2008

Memories

Here are some reminiscence of my diploma days...I really missed those days....

Financial Accounting 2 (FA2)
Whilst many students say that this is one of the easiest diploma subjects, I beg to differ. As a science stream student even in Form 6, I had no basics in accounting besides those few chapters in the Form 3 KH syllabus which I had generously returned to my teacher immediately after my PMR KH paper was over. That was why I considered my first day of FA2 lecture to be shit cos I did not even know what a trial balance/ balance sheet/ T,P&L accounts was back then. Once, I slept at 8am the next day because I could not "balance" the balance sheet. Classes were boring. There were only 4 regular class-goers and my friend "dumped" me by deferring this subject. But today, I looked at it as a blessing in disguise because thanks to the small number of students in class, I managed to get more personalized tutoring from the lecturer. With enough hardwork (and plentiful of guidance from the lecturer, I pulled through and actually got an A for FA2. I am such a genius ... BTW, I have not forgiven you yet for dumping me, Emelline!!!!
To all accountants and accountancy students, I salute you.
Sorry dad for dashing your hopes but I will make you proud somehow...

Marketing Management
My MM lecturer, Mr JFerson(!!!), loved our handwriting so much and had a lot of red ink and time to waste that he gave us tutorial questions after every lecture. Minimum: 2 essay questions per lesson...

Research Methods
I have no regrets taking this subject. It helped me a lot in my other assignments and I now appreciate Mr JFerson for making us do literature review for the assignment. It taught me not to regret taking ITT because if it wasn't for the tourism research part in ITT, I would not have understood the difference between applied and basic research that soon. BTW, thanks for the left-over Cola and Pepsi you "chia"ed us as a treat for becoming the guinea pig, Mr JFerson.

International Marketing (IM)
"Calling all passengers on board SEGi Airlines flight MKT3001 to South Africa, your flight is ready for boarding at Room 302. Thank you."

My friends and I used to joke that going for IM lecture is like going on a tour because after every lecture, our IM lecturer a.ka. Mr Einstein of Brand Lab will introduce us to the market and economic trends of other countries such as Middle East, Netherlands, Russia, USA and South Africa. He will incorporate other information eg: the attractions and culture of these countries in his "briefing". The first-session of the class=in the plane (no-frills flight on board a budget airline). The chief steward was our ever-so-understanding lecturer. Our in-flight magazine was our IM textbook and in-flight movies were the lecture slides. Unfortunately, we were not using the Boeing 777 so there were no personalized screen in front of our seats. Second-session of the class=tour begins.

BTW, thanks for the Esprit 2008 planner, Sir.

Business Strategy
I took BS with several friends: Davidson, Li Sia, Danny Ho. etc. During our first lesson, all of us were so impressed that our lecturer was using Windows Vista as the operating system for her laptop. (How sakai were we!!!). While most class discussions revolve around companies, our BS class discussion was about Madonna (Can anyone tell me how is Madonna related to Strategic Planning?) While most lecturers would be doing last minute revision with us during the last lesson, our BS lecturer played eye teaser games with us!!!

No comments: