22 January 2008

Hopeless Me

I was humbled after reading Adrian Yap's "Amazing Race" story in the January 2008's publication of Reader's Digest (pp. 25-7). Despite being hearing-impaired, Adrian has achieved many things in life which I, for one, have not been able to achieve in spite of the fact that I am born perfectly normal.

Adrian's academic achievements were outstanding. He scored 4As in his A-Levels and managed to secure a scholarship to study computing in N.U.S. My academic achievements is nothing to shout about. I was not able to score straight As in any public examinations though my results were sufficient to secure my place in the "academically outstanding" class every year. While i thought my SPM results were good, it was not good enough to secure either a JPA, Petronas or Shell scholarship. Well, like what my dad always say, "Self praise is no praise"

Adrian has gone to Nepal to trek up the Annapurna Circuit. He helped built a school in hainan Island and was the first hearing-impaired Asian to go on the Clipper Round The World Yacht Race 05/06. Currently, Adrian is participating in The Amazing Race Asia Season 2 with his team mate, Collin Low.

As for me, I have not even scaled Mount Santubong though (I have been trekking at Gunung Gading National Park twice and climbed up the stairs of Mount Singai umpteenth times!!!) . I DO NOT HAVE ANY OUTDOOR ACHIEVEMENTS. (Unless my success in surviving the 3 days 2 nights Kem Kerja Pengawas Sesi 2003/2004 in February, 2004 where all of us, "the 2003/2004 Thomians' Pride" slept on cardboard cartons on the football field of SMK St. Thomas in a canopy-like tent with no pillow, mattress, blanket, air-con or fan is considered an achievement. We did not have proper shower facilities too....).

I know I sound like a pathetic brat who cannot even rough it out for a night or two, but after all, I am a Generation Y urbanite and a midcentric (though I am skewed more towards the characteristics of psychocentric)! can i be forgiven for that??

That is why I am fervently rooting for Adrian and Collin to win The Amazing Race Asia Season 2. Their teamwork, patience, courage, and determination is something to be emulated. To Adrian and Collin, May you win the race....

Updated on 15 February, 2008: Heartiest Congratulations to Adrian and Collin for winning The Amazing Race Asia Season 2. Singapore (and I) is proud of you superb achievement.

No comments: