05 February 2008

The word: “家”

The word “家” (JIA) is very important to me. One thing, it is the Chinese middle name for my generation, be it male or female.

“家” in mandarin means home, family, and house. The word, “家” is a collectivism ideology. Thus, the Chinese concept of home overlaps with each other. However, the Western (as seen in the English language) concept of home is differs from the Chinese. To the westerners; the words “home”, “family”, and “house” are three separate words with distinct meaning.

My parents have worked (and are still working!!!) hard to instill the concept of “JIA” in me. The philosophy behind the concept of "JIA" is not superficial at all. We need to have natural bond which brings to the existence of a family. Most importantly, we have to nurture and strengthen such bond. There goes the saying, “Blood is thicker than water”. The Chinese concept of “JIA” preserves the idea of maintaining a strong bond among family members, being there for each other through good times and bad times (reminds us about the wedding vows!!).

In some western countries, "self" is more important that anything. Some married couples claim to uphold equality among gender thus separate the mutual obligations equally. In my point of view, this tolerance is pretty artificial.

My parents have been providing for my basic necessities ever since the day I was born until today (though I do not do not rely on them for pocket money since I am earning my spending money through giving tuitions now) without complaining. While my parents grew up in the aura of material depravity during their childhood days, they would not spare no expense to give both my sister and I what they missed during their own childhood. It is because of them that I am able to indulge in all those culinary paradises. My parents do not mind me tagging along with them until today. My dad never hesitated to work harder to finance my education. My parents have sacrificed so much for me. When I start earning real income, I will be more than willing to give a portion of my salary to my family.

I do ask myself; when I am financially independent; will the “self” concept intrude into my mind subconsciously, making me become a MORE selfish person? Will I still cherish the Chinese concept of “JIA”? Will I start (or continue –it’s up to you to decide which word applies) to demand more for myself and less of others? Will I be willing to sacrifice my most precious belonging for any of my family members? Will I prefer artificial happiness over natural happiness? I do not want to loose my oriental essence…. (But being Mandarin illiterate and not knowing how to use a pair of chopsticks correctly without crossing it, do I have any oriental essence to start off with???).

To everybody, have a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year. Here’s wishing you guys the best of the “Rat year” (and the years to come). Gong Xi Fa Cai. All the best in your undertakings, people. Till then, KJ.

To those “poor” Chinese who would have to forgo their annual Spring Festival or “Chun Jie” trip home due to the brutal winter storm that have resulted in cancellations of flights and train services in south-western, eastern and southern China, my heart goes out to you. I know it’s horrible not being able to spend the Lunar New Year with your “家”.

Point to ponder: However, should we blame it on Mother Nature for causing southern, central and east China to experience the biggest snowfall in the last 50 years or should we put the blame on our irresponsible actions in the past that have contributed to global warming??? Is global warming the cause of the draught in the northern part of Australia??? In the midst of their rapid industrialization efforts, many countries have become high emitters of gas pollutants into the atmosphere, thus causing the north and south poles to diminish. And most of these high emitters such as China, India and USA have yet to ratify the UN Convention on Global Warming. Who is to be blame for this?? The leaders of the country (for not ratifying the UN Convention) or the people (for voting in leaders that do not care about the environment). I SUPPORT AL GORE, KEVIN RUDD and PENNY WONG.... Congratulations guys, our future generation will definitely thank you for your efforts.

No comments: