12 February 2008

CNY celebrations so far...

Today marks the sixth day of Chinese New Year, an extremely important celebration for all the Chinese, regardless of whether you are a Christian or a Buddhist, atheist or theist.

A grueling 2-hour exam on CNY eve afternoon took a toll on my energy level and I was hoping to be able to catch a short nap before reunion dinner but I could not because more last-minute CNY chores greeted me as soon as I reached home. Anyway, my family and I went to Harbour View for our reunion dinner. After dinner, I had to perform my overdue task of helping my parents prepare the ang pows (usually I would get it done two to three days before CNY eve but thanks to exams, I could only get it done on CNY eve). As the clock struck 12 midnight, fireworks lit the skies and firecrackers explosions filled the air to welcome the Lunar New Year of the Rat. The competition of "who have the reddest driveway on the 1st day of CNY" begun and my neighbourhood smelled like gunpowder.
7th February 2008, Thursday: Spent the 1st day of CNY honing my waitressing skills of serving, washing, wiping, preparing drinks, heating up the buffet food, and faking my sweetest smile for the whole day. The Saving Grace: Angpows ... KJ LOVES ANGPOWS
8th February 2008, Friday: After 1 whole day of serving people, I finally had the opportunity to be served, though my sis and I had to serve people again at night (until she resorted to pretending to be deaf when mum ordered both of us to cut more chocolate cake or serve the guest.) Anyway, I enjoyed all the eating sessions and angpows. BTW, to Tony koko and Judy jiejie, your cheese cookies, cheese cakes, Allen's almond cookies, and Joanne's pineapple tarts ROCKS!!! My dining table was turned into a gambling table with relatives playing Russian Poker and "Cho Tai Ti". Didn't gamble because none of them wanted to play Black Jack... Too childish for them, I guess...
9th February 2008, Saturday: A day being served. Together with the Tan's entourage, we "demolished" the chocolate cheese cake, 1st and 2nd serving of keropok with the acar, and all the cookies at my maternal grand aunty's house because it was SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE. Can't help it, the Lee's entourage and Tan's entourage are professionals at helping themselves to what is on the table and making themselves at home (even if it is not their own homes).... My mum threw a slumber party for her sisters and cousins that night so we stayed up until 3a.m. the next day listening to to their various gossips, rantings and ravings.
10th February 2008, Sunday afternoon: Spent the fourth day of the Spring Festival by going window shopping at The Spring (How apt!) and contributing to Tan Sri Vincent Tan's wealth because I didn't want to have a drink at Kluang Station. I love the layout at MPH bookstore... They did the right thing by putting benches at the middle. Next time, I can just spend my time reading at MPH while waiting for my mum to finally decide which outfit to get....
11th February 2008, Monday: REVISION + family dinner
12th February 2008, Tuesday: 6th day of CNY... Back to work + blogging + burning the midnight oil
13th February 2008: Burning the midnight oil... More kerosene, please
14th February 2008: EXAM @ the necessary evil+ HOLIDAY + last CNY reunion dinner with relatives... Happy Valentine's Day, people
16th February, 2008: Holiday. Last batch of relatives going back... Adios, people and hope to see you guys soon. "One Road Smooth Wind"
21st February 2008, Thursday: Last day of CNY. The Chap Goh Mei dinner will be the last binge of the CNY celebrations. I am going to miss CNY...
22nd February 2008: End of the holiday stupor. Time to put our noses to the grindstones WITH A VENGEANCE.

No comments: