31 January 2008

My views

The Lingam Video Inquiry has become my favourite court proceeding of late. I enjoy the quotes made by the various witnesses and among the quotable quotes that I found interesting:
1.) “It sounds like me, it looks like me but I do not know whether it’s me”
2.) “I did not hate him. I just disliked him,” as said by Former Chief Justice Tun Mohamed Dzaiddin Abdullah.

On 25th January 2008, The Royal Commission of Enquiry into the Lingam video inquiry decided that it would hold part of the proceedings behind close doors to prevent baseless and wild allegations from being reported. However, by holding part of the proceedings behind closed doors, it gives us public the impression that there is lack of transparency. I know that the Commission of Enquiry Act gives the Commission the right to include and exclude press and public from proceedings should they think it is necessary. However, the function of the Commission is to determine the authenticity of the video clip allegedly showing “somebody who looks like Lingam and sounds like Lingam” brokering judicial appointments with a senior judge over the phone. Therefore, the Royal Commission of Enquiry should at least show us that justice is being done. I opine with what Tan Sri Ramon Mavaratnam, the president of Transparency International Malaysia, said about the decision being an unfortunate one from the point of view of transparency, integrity and accountability since this issue involving the appointment of judges and the integrity of the judiciary is of wide public interest (Sunday Star 2007, 27 January, p. N13).

No comments: