26 February 2008

Letter to Voters

Dear voters,
Though I have the locus standi to stand as an election candidate and to be a Member of Parliament since I have not lost my right to become one according to the law as stated in Article 48 of the Federal Constitution (With my basics in Financial Accounting 2, I am sure that I will not have any problem in submitting my Statement of Expenses for the election in which I am standing in as an election candidate within 33 days after the announcement of the election result. Praise God), it is with principle and honesty that I sincerely decline to stand as a candidate for P195 Bandar Kuching constituency or P196 Stampin constituency in this coming 12th General Elections and the other elections to come.
Firstly, I do not have any election manifesto unlike all my worthy opponents. I do not have the conscience to promise voter heaven and earth or promises I know that I am unable to fulfill.
If given the mandate by the people, I cannot promise that I will do my utmost best because to me, quality is a subjective issue. My best may not be good enough for some people. Besides that, if I do make any promises to the people during my election campaign, it is my strategy that I would not fulfill all my promises within the first 2 years of my term as a Member of Parliament because if I do so, people may forget my contributions by the next general election. Therefore, I would rather fulfill my promises within 5 years. But as age is catching up with me, I might forget my promises by the 4th year of my term as a Member of Parliament. Being an "I-who-do-no-wrong" person, I will not put the blame on my inefficiency or my irresponsibility for not being able to fulfill my promises. Instead, I will put the blame on our honourable Prime Minister for dissolving the Parliament so soon.
I know that I am unable to resolve the security issue because I am not as brave as Sultan Alauddin Riayat Syah (1477-1488) of Malacca who posed as plain-clothed police to nabbed robbers. In addition, our worthy Barisan Nasional (BN) candidate for P195 Bandar Kuching parliamentary seat for this 12th General Election, Mr Sim Yaw Yen, has mentioned that problems cannot be resolved by just speaking out in Parliament. It takes the conscientious efforts of a responsible Member of Parliament to work within the BN Government to make all these happen. As such, if what Mr Sim said is right, I will not be able to resolve all these problems since I am not standing on a BN ticket.
The fear of castigation has prevented me from speaking out the issues that are close to my heart. I am not that self-sacrificing. I am afraid to be detained under the Internal Security Act or Official Secrets Act. I am not willing to be suspended from Parliament without pay for speaking out against something deemed as offensive.
I am scared to loose due to the spirit of "kiasuism" that is inside me. I am afraid to be condemned for my weaknesses (and my monthly menstrual flow). I am afraid of being scorned and abused in the sanctum of the Legislative Hall.
I do not have a proven track record. Furthermore, I do not have the dedication, patience, tolerance and the heart to serve all the 53,216 voters in the Bandar Kuching constituency or the 57,257 voters in the Stampin constituency for the next five years or so.
Therefore, I humbly appeal for an opportunity not to serve Bandar Kuching or Stampin.
Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
KJ
(a registered voter in P196 Stampin constituency)

5 comments:

kEiTh said...

hey KJ ...
Vr glad 2 hear fr u gain. How r u doing now? Btw, ur blog r reli cool le :) I wil add u to my link ya ...
ChEeRs!

blurr said...

Hi KJ.. You are? Í'm sorry I can't recall who you are from your initials KJ. Take care..

kj said...

Keith: Thanks a lot.. :)Best wishes, pal..

blurr: Don't blame u for not remembering me.. been ages since i left st mary's. and this means that im old liao....

To all my friends, hmm.. globalisation really make this world very small... Thank God for the invention of the internet.. hehehe

blurr said...

Hi Ka Joy :) I remember you dy... my senior :) Sorry it took me awhile to recall... Hope all is well..
Take care ;)

kj said...

Take care, people...