21 February 2008

L.U.R.

I am an LUR@ Local-U reject. Yes, my application to enter local university/ public university (hereinafter referred to as local u) was rejected in 2005. I appealed but got a course which I was not interested in. I did not pass my STPM with flying colours but I managed to secure a CGPA of (far) more than 2.00, which was the minimum entry requirement to enter local university at that time (I'm not sure about now but from what I read on the USM website here, I think it's still the same). I was active in extra co-curricular activities since Form 4 because I was told by my teachers back then that involvement in extra co-curricular activities would come in useful when applying for a place at local universities or scholarships. I was a school prefect since Form 4 until Upper 6 and assumed committee posts in the various clubs/societies that I joined. I took part in inter-school competitions and academic quizzes, hoping that this would give me a competitive advantage.
I withstood the hardship in Form 6. I overcame the "homework pile per day" and weekly tests that increased as STPM was drawing near. Nevertheless, after much perseverance, I passed my STPM with all principle passes (i am such a genius...hahaha) and when my Math teacher heard that I passed my Math with a credit, she said, "Oh, you ACTUALLY passed your math.."

Anyway, I applied for a place in local u immediately after the 2004 STPM results were released in March 2005. I made sure that my CGPA was way above the minimum entry requirements for my 8 preferred courses.

The local u application results were released in June 2005. I failed to secure a place any in local u despite my involvement in extra-co curricular activities. Some of my friends who obtained a much lesser CGPA than me and were less involved in co-curricular activities managed to obtain a place in the local universities. (By coincidence), they were all Bumiputras.

I cried when I found out that my application was denied. I studied so hard and was active in extra co-curricular activities just for the sake of getting a place in local u. I was depressed and cut of communications with the “outside world” for a few days. I refused to answer any phone calls, fearing that it would be one of my classmates calling me up, asking me what course and which u did I get. I did not reply any smses. My spirits were low and I felt inferior about myself. It was a really traumatizing period for me. However, I felt better when I found out one week later that another friend of mine, who was a head prefect, more active in extra co-curricular activities and got a better STPM result, failed to get a place in local university too. At least, I was not the only one.

Is it because of my stupidity that I was not able to secure a place in local university in my first attempt??? If the answer is yes, then why could my friend who got a worse result than me enter local u???

It was then I realised that there is no way that I can depend on the government for a living. Thank God, with the financial support of an education loan and my parents, I entered private college to further my education and am currently doing my twinning-degree with an Australian university.

Ever since then, I discouraged my juniors, especially the non-Bumis, from entering Form 6 unless they are absolutely sure that they will be able to secure a place in the course that they want in their local university of their choice since the avenue of affordable education to “deserving” non-Bumi students is limited even though the government is implementing the meritocracy system.

To deserving STPM students who failed in getting a course of your choice or a place in the local university, I feel for you because I, too, was a victim. I went through that traumatizing period. We studied so hard, just to hope to get a place to do a course of our interest. Like what former Batu Gajah MP Fong Po Kuan said, you (or rather, we) are not at fault. DO NOT EVER GIVE UP. Nobody can stop us from achieving our dreams..

To MP Fong Po Kuan, you are a symbol for democracy and justice. You have victoriously sailed through against all odds. After reading your blog, I realized that you have done so much not only for the Batu Gajah constituency in Perak, but also to Malaysia. You are an asset to DAP and the Malaysian public. Thank you for fighting for our rights in the Dewan Rakyat throughout your two terms as the MP for Batu Gajah. As much as I would like to see you contest in the Batu Gajah constituency again, I shall respect your decisions. May God bless you always….

No comments: