19 February 2008

Election Fever

My interest for politics was nurtured by my father who never failed to bring me to all those political party's "ceramah" ever since I was six years old. Back then, I did not understand what those speakers were saying or ranting about but I still enjoyed attending those speeches because to me, it meant "going out". I clearly remember those times when my father would bring me to the restaurant at Ban Hock Road, opposite the 7-storey KMC Flats to listen to those "ceramah"s. I began to understand the importance of exercising my rights as a voter at the age of 11, thanks to my father who was my interpreter. That is why I am currently suffering from the "pre-election fever".

Unfortunately, not many people I know share the same interest as me. A lot of my friends are not interested in the coming elections because to them, there is no point caring about the election since BN is definitely going to win. However, the core issue is not whether BN or the Opposition will win since we all know that BN will definitely be back in power again in most State Legislatures, and thus, will be our ruling coalition again. The few interesting issues to me are:

Will Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi score the same overwhelming victory like he did in the 2004 General Elections??

Can BN wrestle Kelantan from PAS after marginally loosing the state to PAS in the last GE?
Will DAP win Penang?

Will DAP's Tony Pua be able to capture the Petaling Jaya Utara parliamentary seat from MCA incumbent, Datin Paduka Chew Mei Fun?

Will Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah Ismail be able cling on to her Pematang Pauh seat?

Can DAP stalwart Lim KIt Siang retain his Ipoh Timor seat??

Where will DAP's Bukit Gelugor incumbent, Karpal Singh be fielded?? Bukit Gelugor or Bagan???

Will SUPP's Youth Chief, Alan Sim be able to wrestle back the Bandar Kuching parliamentary seat from DAP's incumbent Chong Chieng Jen, who beat SUPP's Wee Kok Tiong in a straight fight during the 2004 GE??

Meanwhile, before nomination day I am more interested in:

whether Jeff Ooi will be standing in Bukit Bendera or Jelutong?

whether BN will retain Datuk Bung Mokhtar Radin as their candidiate for the Kinabatangan
constituency, where he won unopposed in the 11th GE??

whether Fong Po Kuan will change her mind and offer herself to be the DAP candidate for Batu Gajah??

Whether Dr Jeffrey Kitingan will take on his brother Datuk Seri Panglima Joseph Pairin Kitingan (president of Parti Bersatu Sabah) in Keningau??

Whether the Chinese-majority areas in Sarawak namely Bandar Kuching, Stampin, Sibu, Lanang, Miri, Bintulu and Sarikei will see a three-cornered fight between SUPP, DAP and PKR? (This looks inevitable since DAP has not shown any willingness to compromise with PKR)

Meanwhile, I will just wait and see....

May the best man wins....

PS: To those who are eligible to vote, Click here to check the electoral role to ascertain your polling centre and polling stream.
Let's exercise our rights as a Malaysian....

No comments: