15 February 2008

12th General Election is coming


13th February, 2008: 11th Parliament (Dewan Rakyat to be more precise) dissolved


24th February, 2008: Nomination day

24/2/2008-7/3/2008: Campaigning period (Don't be surprise if you see all the candidates being extremely friendly to you, wanting/dying to shake your hands at the coffee shop/ mamak stall)

8th March, 2008: 12th General Election. The use of transparent ballot boxes and indelible ink for the first time.

KJ will be eligible to vote this round. However, I do not know who to vote for yet. I do not want the honourable elected representative that I voted for to make off-colour, controversial, provoking, racist, and sexist statements that will offend many people. I hope all the upcoming elected representative will not show their disregard for the parliamentary decorum in the Dewan Rakyat. I hope they will all be civilized and cultured people. I truly agree with what Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said, "BN candidates must be morally clean". In fact, all elected representatives should be credible and morally clean to be in line with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi's efforts of establishing integrity, accountability, justice, and "say no to corruption" in his administration. As a matter of fact, I truly admire Datuk Seri Dr. Chua Soi Lek for his honesty. Not many people are prepared to be accountable for their wrongdoings. Therefore, in my point of view, Datuk Seri Dr. Chua's actions to own up, admitting to the scandal, not dodging the question, and bowing out gracefully by giving up all his MCA posts and resigning as the Health Minister and Member of Parliament for Labis, has set an unprecedented precedent for other leaders to follow.

To the "Barisan Alternative" parties, I know all of you want to help us, the general public, fight for our rights in the parliament, but I hope all of you would be able to negotiate with each other and compromise. I do not wish to see a three-corner fight in the constituency where I will be voting because if it actually happens (which i hope not), your staunch supporters would be in a dilemma on which party to support.

Anyway, check the Election Commission's website to see if you are eligible to vote.

No comments: