28 January 2008

Catching mosquitoes was not that bad after all

Samson & Daft (2003, p. 178) defines entrepreneurship as the process of initiating a business venture, organising the necessary resources, and assuming the associated risks and rewards.

To say that the college at Kuching Eye Hill Road's Y.E.C.'s "coffee chat" session for the month of January was a total success would be a blatant lie. However, it is also wrong to say that it was a total failure.

Truthfully speaking, I actually thought it was a total failure. I had failed as a president to organise an activity that will appeal to members. I had failed as a leader to influence and inspire members to cooperate with the committee to achieve the club's objectives. Worst of all, I had failed as a marketing major student. The marketing mix strategy in terms of the 4P's was not effective. What an embarrassment as it is suppose to be one of the expertise of a marketeer.

However, with the unwavering support from my ever-so-loyal fellow committee: Wilvin, and my ever-so-optimistic club adviser, my views changed -much appreciation and thanks Guys!. Quoting Mr Adviser, "Entrepreneurs seldom follow instructions and they are always willing to take risks." I pondered over his statement during lunch and it was then when I realised that we were actually true entrepreneurs (based on the definition given by Samson & Daft 2003).

We initiated the activity, organise the necessary resources (including going to the SME Bank for the sake of getting some brochures, designing a poster with the hope that it will stand out amidst the clutter on the notice board, creating powerpoint slides, and supplying FOC drinks to those attending, and etc.), and most importantly, we assumed the risk by going ahead with it. We did predict what the worst outcome might be but being staunch unbeliever of the Murphy's Law, I moseyed blithely with the "It would not happen" attitude so when my fellow committee, predicted it, I brushed it aside, telling them to be optimistic. Therefore, I was truly disheartened when it actually happened.

But come to think about it, our activity was not a failure because we had all displayed the qualities of an entrepreneur.....

-since when I was that optimistic....


No comments: