02 June 2009

I was having a chat with one of cyber friends from one of those local Unis in malaysia. She's a chap who takes pride her Uni and she is sure a loyal student who goes all out promoting her Uni. Sad thing she's from Local U because if she was from one of those Private Institutions, she did make a real good PR manageress.

I met her online last night and we began talking about the recent USM fiasco. She was mad by the comments made by some politicians about the whole blunder.

"I do not understand Malaysians." she said.

Thinking it was about the Port blunder, I expressed my gratitude to a certain politician who highlighted the issue or I'd be in a newb about this issue.

"I hate him/her," she continued.

"Why?" I asked.

"Why is he/she harping over the USM issue? It's just a minor issue and he/she is there making all sorts of conclusions as if he/she is one of the victims." she replied.

"Hey, that's his/her job, isn't it. To be the mouth of the rakyat, just as what he/she promised us in his/her election manifesto. Come to think of it, I don't think that mistake should happen in the first place. yeah, it may be some technical glitch but did they think about those students who had to suffer the anguish of disappointments?" I replied.

"USM is definitely regrettable but the politician should refrain from jumping on any opportunity to gain political mileage by exploiting the whole fiasco. There was no racism involved. It is about just the mistake they made in the database. Can't he/she stop making conspiracy theories?" she responded.

"Moreover, our Higher Education Minister has made assurances that those rejected by USM will be processed by UPU for consideration for entry into the other public unis. So what is the fuss now? Shoosh, Can't he/she just shut up and let the UPU do their job," she continued.

"I think his/her concern is whether their chances of getting into one of the other public universities will be jeopardized by their USM rejection. He/she is actually fighting a place in Local U for those USM victims. I think he/she is doing a good deed.. hey, but the blunder should not have happened in the first place , considering the fact that USM has been awarded the apex status," I argued.

"There is no issue now. USM has apologised. The MOHE has given their assurance. So where's is the issue?" she answered.

"Okay, how would you feel if you were one of the USM victims?" I questioned her.

"C'mon, everyone makes mistakes... Nobody's perfect, even computers. Can't they all accept that fact, instead of making a fuss in the papers." she answered.

Easier said than done...
**

Hmm, this chap should be made USM's PR manager.

No comments: