30 January 2009

They say

CNY is never complete without gambling,

be it Black Jack or Cho Tai Ti or Mahjong or Russian Poker or whatever you can play with that deck of cards lying on the table...

True.
**
Today is the fifth day of the Year of the Ox. I have yet to play Black Jack this year, neither did I play last year. I was away the year before.

"C'mon, it's a once-a-year affair. We play small anyway. You see, all your cousins are playing too..."

I pondered. CNY is never complete without gambling.

I shrugged. "No, thank you," I replied, "I do not fancy gambling."

**
I used to enjoy gambling when I was kid. I had the perception that those who gambled during CNY were matured and cool people. So I would join my relatives at the dining table, using my angpow money as my capital.

It was fun and loud during my first attempt. I won.

Things changed the next year. It was excruciating to watch my money fly one Ringgit by one Ringgit. I lost RM3. My cousins won. Being a kiasu person, I cried. I complained. I was 10 years old then. It was there and then when I was given the understanding that in every game, there will always be a winner and a looser. This round I was the looser.

I never gambled from then on. Probably I did but I don't remember. But even if I did, the moment I start loosing, I run to avoid further loss.
**
My fundamental personality has not changed. I'm an introvert, and I think I always have been. I'm not spontaneous and I've a hard time taking the initiative to do something. I'm slightly better at that now than I was before, but in essence I haven't changed. I no longer exhibit my horridly spiteful temper, but that part of me is still in there somewhere. I'm still cautious; but a little more calculative and less of a risk-taker.

A cousin dinner awaits. There will Not be any gambling later. I am sure of it. Even if there is, I wouldn't gamble.

After all, I do not like taking risks, especially those that involve finance.

And I begin to wonder, why did I take Business Studies in the first place?

*sigh*

I'm off.

No comments: