17 July 2008

Slowly...

I walk, knowing the further I do so, the closer I am to the murky waters. Yet I cannot return – behind, cutlasses are pointed into my back.
I advance, with fear gripping my stomach, thus squeezing it into mush. I resist the urge to puke. My face is scarred with fear. I glance around, and see many faces, forcing me into the cold, murky waters. However, amidst the crowd of weapon-wielding antagonists, I see a few familiar faces i.e. my parents, my swimming coaches- those people i know I can't disappoint somehow...But now, all is lost.
Looking sideways, I see my teammates who has been sentenced to the same fate as me. Some with eagerness in their eyes, others – indescribable, complete, utter, panic. Some wearing their swimming gears, floats and holding kicking boards, with the notion that they will survive the waters. How nice is it, to be like those silver lining optimists. Others, like me, shivering...
I start thinking of the end-results. Will I completely, utterly vanish from the face of the earth?? Will I emerge bloody, but victorious??


A fearsome pirate stands up, and stretches to its full height. A scary one, it is, with the full package of a pirate- patch over its eye and hook for a hand. Only this one is worse. If looks could kill, all of us would have died. She looks at me and barked, “Your jump is up soon, get ready!". Evil crackles follow..
**
In less than 100 hours time, Semester 2 will start, sweeping me up in a discordant wrath of sound and fury, activities and friendships, love and hate.... Soon I will have to study my butts off. Well, university isn't exactly a place of comfort nor glamour, y'know.
I know I'd just overdose apathy, maybe then reality won't come so quickly, eh?
**
I walk further, and I find myself standing on the edge of the plank. Knowing I have no choice, I close my eyes, and plunge in. Into the cold, murky waters filled with starved, hungry sharks.
**
Finally, after what seems for like an eternity of time, sinking to the bottom, I come up for a breath of air. Momentary release from the murky waters of… of… STUDIES, ASSIGNMENTS and EXAMS.
After all of us emerge, we gather around. Some emerge victorious, knowing that they bopped a few sharks, and others… bleeding bloody innards.
And Me?? I gotta survive it all, no matter what; so I shall hope for the best...

Cheers, people.

1 comment:

kEiTh said...

Hi Ka Joy,

Dont worry, you will survive the sharks!! All the best ...

cHeErS! :)