02 May 2008

Stubbornness to the extreme

When I was small, I remembered my mum wringing her hands in exasperation at me, saying "why are you so stubborn. Do you know that you are even more stubborn than a donkey??". Despite the numerous punishments that I received from my parents as a result of my wrongdoings caused by my stubbornness, I am still as stubborn as ever. I guess operant learning did not work on me!!
Before Online Quiz 3 opened, my lecturer was drowning into our saturated minds that we should be extremely well-prepared before attempting the quiz. Do not rush to attempt it and if possible, work with your course mates….
Being a stubborn person (as usual), I defied his advice (well, sort-off). I attempted the quiz one day after it opened (one week before the due date) since I felt that I was well-prepared for it. I decided to do it while the things I had revised for the past 2 days were still fresh in my head. I regretted my actions while on my first attempt. The questions were so hard and the answers were so close to each other. Halfway through my first attempt, the connection lagged for some reason. The page took two minutes or so to open and the timer was still running while waiting for it to open. I panicked. I
felt the chills and tingling sensation flowing through my veins. Nevertheless, I remained vigilant and prayed fervently to be able to complete it.

I do not work together with my course mates when attempting my quizzes. My reason is simple. My course mates usually attempt the quiz one day before it closes or on the day itself. This is thing I dare not do since I have this phobia that the website would be jammed since everyone’s also rushing to complete the quiz. Who knows, Streamyx may decide to take a break, thus slow down the connection…..or maybe in one part of the Earth, an earthquake might just strike and cause the internet connection to be affected, similar to what happened on 28th December, 2006 when an undersea earthquake off the coast of Taiwan measuring 7.2 on the Ritcher Scale struck and hit a lot of underground cables, thus disrupted most internet communications. Touch Wood.

I’m glad that my first wave of assignment and quizzes are over. I did not do badly for any. Probably my worst one is Leadership but it’s still a pass!!! I have (finally) completed my CB assignment 2. Woke up at 7:40am this morning to go to dad’s office to print it out. So I’m just praying fervently that I have complied with the requirements. I need to start my Leadership essay soon. It's due in 2 weeks time. Maybe I shall start my research tonight. I hope to finish it by next week so I can concentrate fully on MR assignment 2. Anyway, with a bit discipline, I’m sure I can get the essay done. NOTE TO SELF: Cut down your online hours.

Back to my Online Quiz 3, I’m glad I did not screw it up. I managed to get a full score for my second attempt…**WOOT** Surprisingly, I did quite well for the quiz I thought I had screwed up (Thank God we are given two attempts and Thank God I did well in both attempts!!)..….Hmm, maybe I should consider taking up UIU’s Bachelor in Psychology after completing my degree programme… Imagine getting a postgraduate degree in Psychology from Upper Iowa University. Imagine going to UIU’s Fayette campus. AaaaaaH, breathless thrill of freedom.... Free to speak, free to express my opinions, free to..... *KJ slaps herself *

By the way, can anyone tell me what is so great about the donuts at Big Apple Donuts and Coffee??? I do not find anything spectacular about their donuts. Last Saturday (26/4/2008), I stepped foot into Big Apple Donuts and Coffee at tHe Spring for the first time ever since it opened, only to leave as a dissatisfied customer. Actually it wasn’t my idea to go there since feedbacks from friends have told me that J. Co donuts win pants down. Mum was attracted by the bunting outside the shop which said something like “free donut for every cup of coffee or tea” so I found myself lining up for 20 minutes just to purchase 1 cup of coffee and 3 cups of tea, while dad was sitting resolute on the chair watching everyone queuing up and mum and sis went shopping at God-knows-where. (Being the youngest in the family, it seems like it is an ascribed role that I will be the one queuing up to place the order on behalf of my family at any self-service eateries.) Okay, back to my story. I had to endure the over 20 minutes queue since the cashier refused to entertain my order earlier on even though she was quite free since her next customer was still deciding which flavours to get. Well, Fair enough since everyone’s queuing up too. When it was finally my turn, the cashier charged me RM46 for 4 cups of drinks. Actually, I didn’t realize that there was a mistake in the calculations since I was fuming after queuing up for what-seems-like-hours, hence was not thinking rationally. I finally realized that there was something wrong after Dad knocked some sense into my head. I went up to the cashier and demanded to see the receipt as she said earlier on it was their policy that they keep the receipt. When I saw the receipt, I was shocked to see that I was billed an additional RM22 for a dozen donuts, which I did not even order in the first place.

Me: Miss, I think there is a mistake. I did not purchase a dozen donuts.
Cashier: Yes, you did. I saw you lining up.
Me: What has lining up got to do with this??
Cashier: Usually, people line up to buy our donuts.
Me: HELLO, I lined up because earlier on, you asked me to line up despite the fact that I told you that I just want a cup of coffee and 3 cups of tea.
Cashier: But I remembered handing your donuts to you.
Me: Since when?? And for your information, there are no donuts with me except for the 4 FOC original donuts that came with the drinks. If you don’t believe, go check my seat if you want..(Pointing to my place). See, you see any of your Big Apple plastic bag or box over there?????
Cashier: Are you sure you didn’t buy 12 donuts???
Me: I swear that I did not buy your donuts… and did you see me passing any Big Apple plastic bag to anyone or leaving your outlet???
Cashier:
Like that ah, or you line up and choose 12 donuts lor…
Me:
I do not want your donuts, okay… Just return RM22 back to me….
Cashier:
You take 12 donuts is the same as me returning you back RM22.
Me:
How many times must I tell you, I do not want your donuts. I want my money back….

In the end, the cashier unwillingly returned RM22 back to me without apologizing to me….This unfortunate incident was enough to make me dissatisfied, thus experiencing postpurchase dissonance. Being a stubborn person, I don’t think I will line up to buy their donuts anytime around- many thanks to the idiotic cashier at Big Apple Donuts and Coffee at tHe Spring who attempted to rip siphon RM22 out of my Dad's pockets. Anyway, I'm not really into sweet stuff (though I will never resist J. Co donuts!!!!).

Is it just me or what that I find Big Apple donuts too sweet???? I personally think that Big Apple donuts are nothing to shout about…

-Sorry for digressing -

1 comment:

kEiTh said...

Good job, KJ ... That cashier was very rude and stu***! What the heck lining up with buying donuts? Rubbish! You should have shown him/her some colour. Customers are always right, true? If any cashier ever sounded to me like that, I will never ever visit that shop agin, even though you tied me up and drag me there. Boycott, boycott BApp** Haha :)YEah, I agree with you. Big ApPlE is too sweet to be edible. J.Co is just nice. ChEeRs! :)