13 May 2008

My perception about AirAsia has changed.....

As I was moderating the comments left on my blog just now, I realized that Tony Fernandes left a comment on my post: Healthy Competition is Good. **WooT** Okay, I do not know whether it is really Dato' Tony Fernandes or just somebody who is using his name. But I shall assume that it is really Dato' Tony Fernandes, as in the CEO of AirAsia Berhad. (Thank you, Dato' Tony Fernandes for highlighting several issues out to me. I truly appreciate it as it made me realised that I have been looking at things from a one-sided perspective, thus giving a rather bias judgment on certain issues at times). I know I praised his arch-rival in that post but it is in my personal opinion that Datuk Seri Idris Jala is a transformational who managed to bring MAS out of its abysmal position (and this opinion still remains until today.)

I have used AirAsia countless times because of its cheaper fares and I have experienced numerous postpurchase dissonance in the process because of the the airline’s deep-seated inability to keep to its schedules. At one point of time, I surmised that flight delays due to the late arrival of the aircraft is central feature of AirAsia’s business operating plan!! However, I shall not lament on flight delays or cancellation due to bad weather because it is something inevitable. Nevertheless, despite all my unpleasant experience, I continued using AirAsia but it is out of repeat purchase behaviour because the airfare was much cheaper as compared to MAS and of course, the number of flights a day that they offer for the Kuching-KL sector: 10 flights a day as compared to MAS's 7. Note: until today, I will choose the one that offers the cheapest price. I do not have brand loyalty when it comes to airlines.

However, my past experience with AirAsia's service isn't my main point here. It is their down-to-earth leader that I shall talk about. I have heard from many people that they met Dato' Tony Fernandes at KLIA while checking-in and how humble was he to approach them first, chat with them and even agreed to take a picture with them. Then Peter Tan commended Dato' Tony Fernandes's quick response to meet with the members of Barrier-Free Environment and Accessible Transport Group (BEAT) personally to discuss the ways to resolve issues faced by disabled persons wanting to book seats to fly with AirAsia, immediately after the protest by the members of BEAT. However, after today, the fact that he commented on my post that did not favour AirAsia that much, I have to say that Dato' Tony Fernandes has proven himself to be a down-to-earth person. I mean, who am I? I am not actually a nobody. I am only one of the 27.17million people in Malaysia. I am not an opinion leader to anybody about airlines. I am not a frequent flyer of any airlines. I do not even have active income (my salary from my tuition is considered my pocket money). But the fact that my opinion actually mattered to the CEO of AirAsia (if it was really him) has changed my opinion about AirAsia:-
AirAsia: the number 1 budget airline in Asia.
AirAsia: the company that I used for most of my assignments during my diploma days because the website was (and still is) user friendly, availability of information and they had this section called Student FAQ which was very helpful.
AirAsia: The market leader in zero-fares.
AirAsia: Its low fares are more to a strategy since it is in line with the mission of the airline, and its tagline “Now Everyone Can Fly”.
AirAsia: The company with a CEO that takes the problems faced by physically challenged people seriously and addressed it immediately.
AirAsia: The company with a down-to-earth CEO.
and as mentioned by the lecturer just now during CB lecture, AirAsia: the sponsor for Manchester United, Formula One's Williams team and professional referees in English soccer.

Tony Fernandes (as in the one who commented on my blog) commented that AirAsia has not been given more routes to Singapore and have to compete against FireFly that is operating in Subang. True enough, Subang is much nearer as compared to Sepang, so some people might end up using FireFly even though it is more expensive than AirAsia. AirAsia currently has two daily flight frequencies between the lucrative KL-Singapore route (because it is allowed only two) while MAS has five flights. To say whether this is actually unfair, I don't know. After all,
like what Datuk Seri Idris Jala said, Malaysia has open sky agreements with the US, United Arab Emirates, New Zealand, Taiwan and Scandinavian countries so AirAsia is actually free to fly to any of these destinations with no limitations on frequency.

Nevertheless, my stand regarding the zero air fare competition shall remain....

MAS is offering FREE Seats.
AirAsia is offering SubZero FREE Seats.
FireFly is now showing their FREE Seats is lower than Subzero.

*Surcharges such as fuel, insurance and administration fees are non-refundable.
Healthy and FAIR competition is GOOD
not only for consumers, but also for Malaysia's tourism industry
(though travel agents might really not welcome it with wide open arms because the incentive to sales agents and other ticket handling costs are minimized since tickets can only be booked online!!!).

Therefore, the winner of the MAS-AirAsia price war is us, the CONSUMERS
(as long as the interests of the consumers are taken care of, and most importantly, safety and efficiency are not compromised.)
So on behalf of all the consumers, I would like to thank Datuk Seri Idris Jala for being the first full-service airline to offer zero fares (source) and to Dato' Tony Fernandes for coming up with creative strategies when responding to competition (and for commenting on my blog).

May the Malaysian aviation industry be FULLY liberalised before the Asean open skies policy fully opens on 1st January 2009....

Towards a BETTER Malaysia.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shall agree with you. Consumer is the winner. Anyway, for me, convenient is the most important element to consider when travel by air. Fly from Subang indeed a good idea for Firefly to position them as a community airline, where they serve the community in klang valley. By cutting time and travelling cost into half, why not?

kj said...

Thanks Apolo for your comments. I agree with your views that convenience is an important factor. With the world oil price that rose to $133.17 this morning, I fear that our government MAY increase the price of fuel (though I'm praying fervently that they wouldn't). If it is inevitable, our fuel price in Malaysia will increase again and very soon, we will switch to FireFly if the difference isn't that much. To say whether it is unfair that AirAsia can't operate in Subang, I reserve my comments as I am in no position to comment. Thanks again.